On 3rd May 2016, Government representatives from around the world gathered in the Houses of Parliament, London to declare their support for an internationally supervised vote on self-determination for the people of West Papua.
The meeting was briefed by parliamentarians, lawyers and academics, all of whom discussed and affirmed the West Papuan people’s fundamental right to self-determination.
We the undersigned Members of Parliament:
I. Declare that continued human rights violations in West Papua are unacceptable.
II.Warn that without international action the West Papuan people risk extinction.
III.Reiterate the right of the people of West Papua to genuine self-determination.
IV.Declare the 1969 ‘Act of Free Choice’ to be a gross violation of this principle.
V.Call for an internationally supervised vote on self-determination in accordance
with UN General Assembly Resolutions 1514 and 1541 (XV).
Palace of Westminster, London, 3rd May, 2016
- - Benny Wenda, United Liberation Movement for West Papua
- The Hon. Samuela ‘Akilisi Pohiva, PM of Tonga
- The Hon. Bruno Leignkone, Minsiter of Foreign Affairs, Vanuatu
- The Hon. Ralph Regenvanu, Minister for Lands, Vanuatu
- Gary Juffa, Governor of the Northern Province, Papua New Guinea
- Ambassador Rex Horoi, Special Envoy on West Papua
- The Hon Manasseh Sogavare, PM of the Solomon Islands
- Lord Alton, UK House of Lords
- Lord Harries, UK House of Lords and former Bishop of Oxford
- Andrew Smith MP, UK Parliament
- Alan Whitehead MP, UK Parliament
- Nick Brown MP, UK Parliament
- Caroline Lucas, MP, UK Parliament
- Senator Richard Di Natale, Leader of the Australian Greens
- Senator Scott Ludlam, Australian Parliament
- Senator Robert Simms, Australian Parliament
- Senator Frances Bedford, Australian Parliament
- Bart Staes, MEP, Belgium
- Catherine Delahunty MP, New Zealand
- Deputy Prime Minister Joe Natuman of Vanuatu
- Dr Rupert Roopnaraine MP, Minister of Education Guyana
Delegates gather at the signing of the Westminster Declaration
Leader of the UK Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn, was amongst those to speak
Delegates address members of the press and media prior to the event
Show your support
If you are an elected Government representative,
please add your name to the Westminster Declaration.