The Provisional Government of West Papua has announced the formation of a full cabinet commanding 12 government departments throughout the country. The newly-created departments, ranging from Green State Policy to Defense, deepen the challenge to Indonesia’s illegal occupation of West Papua.
After announcing the formation of the Provisional Government on December 1, 2020, the United Liberation Movement for West Papua (ULMWP) has been building up governance capacities inside the colonised territory. The latest move comes after President Jokowi ordered a ‘crackdown’ in West Papua in response to the killing of an Indonesian intelligence chief.
A number of prominent West Papuans inside the country have been appointed to the cabinet, led by Interim President Benny Wenda and the Interim Prime Minister. The ministers will cover the following portfolios:
- Department of Foreign Affairs
- Department of Environment and Green State Policy
- Department of Home Affairs
- Department of Rights of All Beings and Justice
- Department of Political Affairs
- Department of Indonesia Affairs
- Department of Melanesia Affairs
- Department of Women Affairs
- Department of Social and Cultural Affairs
- Department of Police
- Department of Defense
- Department of Finance
Due to the intense political repression of the Indonesian regime, the names of the cabinet ministers are not being released. The departments are working underground in West Papua to undermine Indonesian rule from the inside. The Department of Foreign Affairs will command the ULMWP’s network of diplomatic missions across the world, including the EU, UK, US and Pacific.
The Department of Defense will command the united West Papua Army. The military commanders will include:
- Supreme Commander Chief General Mathias Wenda
- Deputy Supreme Commander General Goliat. Tabuni
- Chief of Staff Colonel Amos Sorondany
- First Deputy Chief of Staff General Titus Murib
- Second Deputy Chief of Staff General Brigen Fredinan Warobay
- Third Deputy Chief of Staff General Abubakarak Omawi Wenda
- Fourth Deputy Chief of Staff Mayor General Terianus Satto
The commanders today announce their commitment to operating within international humanitarian law and the laws of armed conflict, and their support for a peaceful approach to resolving the conflict.
The announcement comes on May 1, the anniversary of the Indonesian invasion of West Papua in 1963, commemorated annually by the West Papuan people.
Interim President Wenda said: ‘On the 58th anniversary of the illegal Indonesian invasion of our country, we take another step towards reclaiming our homeland. We are forming the world’s first Green State, able to protect the rights and life of all beings in place of an Indonesian occupation that has murdered hundreds of thousands of my people. Human rights and climate justice will be at the heart of our Provisional Government.’
Find full statement by Interim President Wenda on the announcement here.